In an effort to upgrade our existing OCS 2007 R2 environment, I wanted to come up with a new design I could build up in parallel. This draft design includes:
- 4 Front-End Pool Lync 2010 Servers, collocating the A\V Lync Role.
- 2 Node – Active\Passive SQL 2008 Cluster (Note: the Passive node with server as the archive and monitoring server)
- 2 Edge Lync 2010 Servers
- 2 Lync 2010 Mediation Servers
- 2 ISA\TMG Servers for Address Book Reverse Proxy
- Pair of Hardware Load Balancers and use of a DNS round robin.
The impetus for this design was High Availability and Redundancy at every layer. We anticipate 50,000 users enabled, with a 30% utilization or concurrent connection rate. Depending on load, we can add additional front-end and edge servers to scale.
Once I get a proof of concept deployed in the lab, I will share my experiences with the build and deployment.
LYNC 2010 Draft Design